Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Look Hard before You Speak








Look Hard before You Speak


In the quiet of his workroom,
he half smiles
a certain satisfied grin.
Wiping the table carefully,
he notices
a scratch in the clean surface.

As a boy, his Grandfather had
mentored him
‘measure twice, and cut, only once’

Reaching for some polishing oil
he mumbles
“a job worth doing…well done…”

A voice disrupts his focus,
he fumbles
dropping his cloth and muttering.

He absorbs the tone, then the words.
He breathes in,
wipes his hands and flips off the light.

Best not to let her wait upon him,
he's aware
that argument would just waste words.



©Denise-Marie Fisher 8.4.2011

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you intended the humor but I definitely thought the end was funny because I've been in this situation before with my wife! When she tells me to go to bed, all I could do is...go to bed. If I don't, there'll be a lot of wasted words!